Sunday, April 18, 2010

Part of my working area and inspiration




I am cleaning up my sewing room after having a floor put in (notice the extra baseboard pieces to right on floor). So this may change in the weeks/months/years to come. Anyway, here is my trusty Janome 6260. It is an update from a $190 Singer I bought at Walmart, which was a good machine, and what I started quilting on. After awhile, however, I wanted to learn to machine quilt, but I was not interested in machine embroidery at the time, so thus this was picked. It is a decent upgrade and perhaps I will upgrade again when I am comfortable what this can do and need more.


The aqua, pink and purple bin is what I can my "Current Project" holder. The purple tray comes out and there is room in the aqua area for the large pieces of fabric which I will need. The tray holds my sewn, cut and to be cut squares, as well as a picture of the pattern and anything else that happens to drop into it.






These are hanging above my sewing machine. I feel they belong there, even if they are not quilted. They were given to me by my mother-in-law. She got them in Costa Rica. They are made of pieces of fabric. I don't know what type of work this is called. It is multiple layers of fabric sewn together. If someone is familiar with this I would love to know what it is called. I have one other that is not framed and you can feel the "hills and valleys", for lack of a better term, as you handle it. From what I understand, the underlying fabric pieces do not go all the way across underneath; it is definitely not very thick, but I don't dare take any of these apart to see how they are made!

No comments: