Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mother's Sewing Room Treasures

I am going through Mother's things..she had a room where she kept most of her sewing, crafts, etc...

See what I found...


The one on the left is Model 500A, the other one is a 503A.  The manual is for a Kenmore Model 33 Zig-Zag Sewing Machine.  Don't know if she has that one tucked away somewhere or not...These are both considered "portable", but they are heavy dudes!

As soon as my sister decides which she wants, I am going to take the other one to a retired Singer repairman to get it cleaned and fixed up...Anyone with a suggestion as to how I can ship it to her? (from TX to NH)..I am seriously considering buying an Igloo or something like it for a shipping crate....It will cost an arm and a leg but may stand a better chance of getting there...

Yes, the black things in the ziplock are some cams..hopefully they will fit both of them...

I ran across some old bobbins as well..




They are slightly bigger than the metal ones in the machines, so don't know what they might go with...any ideas???   I know they are older because they have more holes in them....if that is any indication of age....

Oh, the markings on the bottom of the left one?  Either my grandmother or my mother marked the inches there,,,I guess for convenience sake.


3 comments:

Sewing Junkie said...

The bobbins don't fit the Singer. They would go with the Kenmore. My Mother found a cardboard box to send me a machine in, but she sent it through a shipping place. The Singer bobbins are not a deep from top to bottom and the solid sides are slightly curved that fit the Singer. Cams may not fit both machines so look online to see what does. Chris

scrappy101 said...

love both of these machines. what a treasure.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cool Rocketeers. How about by bus? Wrap it well, using bubble wrap. Make sure nothing can shift or move. Bus takes a bit longer, but, it is cheaper.