Friday, February 25, 2011

Machine tops

A couple of months ago I told you I got a new washer and dryer.  


 

 They reside in our main bathroom, take up space and are white in color. No one really wants to share a bathroom with a washer/dryer; however, sometimes you have no choice. So they just sit there, white, so boring.  Nothing of interest at all..

Sooooo....you know how their tops sometimes become rusty and old with use?  I had enough of that with the old machines!  So I have decided to make some covers for them.  I am starting out simple, just making what should turn out to be a mat (approx. 23.5" x 22" ).  Another smaller mat will be placed on an oven liner which sits on one of the machines.  I will keep my supply of powdered soap, bleach, Color Catchers, etc on it. 

My design, I have decided, will be a surprise.  Even to me.  I have a lot of scraps/stash close to my sewing machine.  I am going to start sewing them together, any which one and any which way,  then I will cut out shapes (maybe) and go from there.

So I started...with a lovely rose color scrap from my Valentine's Day runner,( whose picture turned out fuzzy) which, unfortunately, was sewn upsidedown from its' companion scraps from Christmas, another V. Day remnant, Spider Man and others...thus making:




I also found some more Christmas pieces, already made triangles and squares,  and leftover binding, which I promptly put into a couple of smaller containers for later... 




So I kept on adding.....





and adding.......


.....And more later...it's getting dark and cannot take any more pictures..

2 comments:

Judee said...

Congrates on your new machines. You have a good idea. It looks like string blocks to me.

LuAnn said...

What a great idea - quilts to top the washer and dryer. That might actually make me want to go into the laundry room. Great idea.