Monday, August 22, 2011

Part 3 Pieces Get Bigger and Bigger.....and a New Tool....

 I have sewn the white and colored strips together into.....longer strips...


and am sewing these strips together, one group at a time, so I won't get confused...



At the same time, I am starting my first official leaders and enders...official, because I have an idea of what that finished product will be.  It's exciting to know that I am working on two quilts at the same time.  I have used leaders and enders before, but I only sewed scraps together, a lot of which are still waiting to find a home.... somewhere....

=====THREADUS INTERRUPTUS=====

I was at this point last night when I ran out of thread...not the bobbin, but the top thread...I just finished filling the bobbin and was continuing the piecing when it happened..No big deal.  I put another spool on, threaded it, and continued to sew...NOT!...Unknown noises came from my machine....

Not being a dummy, I immediately stopped and checked....sure enough, a long stray thread was left over from the old spool.  It was stuck in the machine..

OK...

I unscrewed and opened up the end of the machine and saw it clearly....as it disappeared into the depths of the gears further than I could reach....

(no picture, I had other things on my mind then..)

What to do???

DH refused to take any more screws out of the machine...he can fix anything he sets his mind to, but his mind wasn't set on this...

Silly to take the machine into the shop for a thread, but it felt as if it were stuck around something it shouldn't have been....I left the thread alone as I thought about it...

Later, I went to a neighbor and while visiting (in her pool) mentioned my dilemma....

She suggested a tool she had used to solve the same problem once....

I happened to have it and want to suggest it to you, if you don't already know about it...Great idea and very inexpensive....

Got the thread out without any problem and it is sewing great today!



....And I am continuing to sew...hopefully tomorrow you will see the final results....


 

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Now I would have thought you knew that trick! I use my 3 x 5 note card for cleaning all those sensors and paths same time I clean my bobbincase and housing - every finished project

Star said...

That's clever and simple at the same time. I shall remember that should the problem happen to me. These sorts of problems often happen just when you're having a good time and really enjoying your sewing, don't they! Bam and it stops, ugh!