Friday, March 1, 2013

Lazy Way Out.....or.. Recycling Opportunity

I bought this ready-made wall hanging a few months ago with the idea of just having something to sew when I didn't have anything else, or felt like a small change from a long HQing project.


I used black thread and HQed on all the black lines....wishing I hadn't about one hour after I started (okay, it was about 10 minutes, but I am stubborn and didn't quit).  Anyway, I finished it a while back. 

One of the reasons I did this was to practice making a sleeve and sewing it on the back. I read the directions and had it firm in my mind how to do it, even bought a dowel stick.  So, yesterday I started looking for a white piece of fabric to use....and found an old curtain. I started to put it aside when I realized......it already had a sleeve..... It was slightly more than sheer and less than cotton, but substantial enough to hold this lightweight project.

So I measured, cut, sewed, and came up with an already folded and creased sleeve which I tucked under the binding as I sewed it on...still sewing, btw....


It was the lazy way out, but one must look for innovative ways to save time.....you can make more quilts that way...

Do I still need practice making the sleeve from scratch.....yes.....but I am still on the lookout for free curtains...

1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Lazy is fine for several things. Turned out cute.