Friday, March 15, 2013

I am So Thrilled! About a Small Accomplishment!

Many of you have done this on your machines...It isn't new...

But I just did,,,and am still doing!  I had to stop and take pictures I was so wanting to share this with you...

Okay,,,start from the beginning, Frances....

I am getting ready to sandwich my little Baby Bunny quilt and, being frugal as I am (sometimes) I found three pieces of batting that will be large enough if I sew them together..

I have tried it in the past with my semi-super duper Janome, which is a great machine, BTW, but I could never get the batting to feed smooth enough and it always stretched...

If you remember a couple of earlier posts about my mother's and g. mother's Singers (circa early 1960s)...I had both of them cleaned and checked over and was using one of them..(They both sew terrific, another BTW)...

So I decided to try the built-in zigzag on the one I was "testing".  I put it on the largest zigzag (no attachments needed) and it works great! The feed dogs catch the batting and it is so smooth...I only have to be sure I keep the edges in the middle so that I zig is on one side and zag on the other. 

Lookie, Lookie!


And....


I am thrilled on a couple of levels....One: that I can actually sew batting on this machine (Singer 503), and Two: that a 50 + year old machine is back in business again.  This is the one I think will be going to my sister; I am thinking of keeping the Singer 500...(that one works also).

Okay, now back to the originally scheduled project...

See Ya....




1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Wow, TWO Rocketeer machines?!? I haven't run across one yet. Hope your sister enjoys it, too.