Tuesday, May 10, 2011

So, what did you do on Sunday???

My Mother's Day was ideal!  DH stated he would do everything that needed to be done and I was not to lift a finger doing anything I didn't want to do....

First thing in the morning,  we spent about an hour on the front porch watching the biggest crowd of purple martins we have had around our birdhouses (gourds). They can be cranked up and down to clean, etc. You have seen pictures of them in earlier posts lately.  Here is a closeup.




 We put them up late summer 2009, and last year we only saw a few and they were probably young ones learning to flit and explore.  Sunday we couldn't count the number...we guessed there was around a dozen or so.  Without turning this into a bird post, suffice it to say that the birds have been around almost constantly since then, and we think (notice, Think) we have a pair....maybe...

But it was a nice Mother's Day surprise, which both of us enjoyed.  We then came in, ate breakfast (by DH), and I proceeded to closet myself  in my sewing room, which was, honestly, hard to do because of such a pretty day outside!

 I watched DVDs on my computer --- Breakfast at Tiffany's  and the Ice Age trilogy---Yeah, I know... what can I say....my taste of movies is quite varied. 

While doing that,  I played with fabric.  First, I picked out long (and some not so long) striplets (narrow strips) from my "trash stash" and braided several together. 




I'm not going to do anything with them yet...this is a llooonnngggg project I am experimenting with....mats, rugs, dust catchers....who knows...

Next, I decided on a design for my sewing mat,,,and changed my mind in the middle of it.. ended up with this top, which still needs to be sandwiched and quilted...



I will remeasure and probably will even put it under my sewing machine and extender to see if it is the size I want. If I want it bigger, I will probably add an outer border of white.  I want it to be big enough to easily be under my sewing machine, but not so big as to get in the way of other things on the table. 

I actually washed these......



...in preparation for some baby blankets for another soon-to-be grandchild.  It's parents don't want to know the gender, being the 6th one, they want some surprise.  But they did find out that it weighs, according to the drs, roughly 5 pounds right now..and it's due mid June..that big, I am guessing a boy, hence I took a chance with the patterns.

That's not much to show for a day of leisurely sewing, but that's okay...I also read, rested, and headed again to the front porch that evening...

Hope your Mother's Day was as nice.....

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It's nice to just take some time and 'breath'. No excuses needed. I have Sunday as my 'unplugged' day and fed the 'crew' that arrived to celebrate the day with my MOM - they come, they eat, they leave - what can I say. I did my dog sitting duties, cuddled with the furry so she didn't get a snit on and then collapsed on the couch - movie?? there was a movie playing??? I always fall asleep with a movie.

Valspierssews said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Your bird houses look amazing. It must be nice to see them starting to be visited. I like the way you can play with a long term idea. I am more of a 'must have a plan' person. I may yet loosen up :) I am having a Mothers' Day tea with my mum and daughter today (Wed).