Monday, February 6, 2012

Learning Curves - culinary and HSTs

No, I am not going to whine...or pout....or have negative feelings.....really I'm not...

I don't mind learning curves....everyone has them whenever they start something new, or need to refresh their memory.

Sometimes they are as easy as 1,  2,   3....




I have been on a couple of learning curves the last couple of weeks...

Cooking....

Not just warming up, or microwaving, or outside grilling (DH's job), or even opening up jars/cans/boxes. 

It involves recipes;  finding, searching, examining, printing...and Using.

Then comes various ingredients, spices, measuring, mixing, dirty dishes, pots, pans, counters, tables, ovens, top burners, {Cleaning Up!}

I haven't been in the kitchen so much since my 3 children were young and I had to cook 3 meals a day.  Boy, have I gotten lazy in my old age!  I had morphed into quicky meals, simple and unelegant. 

This is all due to the fact that I have not just gone on a "diet", I have been forced to acknowledge that that diet is absolutely necessary and ongoing, like, maybe ForEver!   So all my thoughts have been, what can I fix myself to eat....much less DH.

 My DH has been so sweet.  During this time, he has done more than just accept the fact that while I don't exactly ignore him at mealtime, for a time he has become second place.  He has actually been willing to cook for himself a time or two...although he did look at my numerous # of  small  turkey meatballs and say, "We could use those with spagetti sometime"...

I think I am still at Phase #1 in the chart above...looking for multi-serve recipes. I plan to have a lot of choices in the freezer all the time, ideally.  It is like searching for treasure..... and X marks the spot .... in the kitchen.....

I know that as I progress through this curve, I will be able to make some of these recipes my own, tweaking here and there, possibly even to the point that DH will enjoy them.

Who knows, maybe I'll share some more treasures with you in the weeks and months to come....after a sample has been properly consumed by yours truly, the human guinea pig....

I will tell you about the HSTs (the second learning curve) in the next post.....please be patient.  The curve is curving......

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I share your learning curve with cooking - got out of the habit, too.

Denise :) said...

I very much understand...I've been facing similar curves lately in the kitchen. Cooking for two, cooking in a RV with limited space, and cooking less processed and more healthy foods. Throw in a tighter budget and the curve *really* takes a sharp turn! I'll be interested to see how and what you do! :)