Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Other Learning Curve - HSTs


I want to make churn blocks.

In order to make them, I needed to review HSTs.

Half Square Triangles - those little things that look so easy...but can irritate you like a pebble in your shoe.  See them in the corners?




I started out with 4 7/8" squares and drew a line from corner to corner. This time I used my rulers and drew 2 more lines, one on each side 1/4" away from the first.  I then sewed on these two outer lines, using the middle as a guide.  Before I had only the one line as a guide and hoped I could keep it even.  Using 2 lines was more time consuming, but I think it helped me with my "balance", so to speak.


After cutting the two triangles from corner to corner, I pressed the resulting HSTs while still folded to set the sewing.  I then opened up the HSTs, light side to the ironing board, being sure I folded it right on the stitching line, then I put my iron down and Pressed the seam.



I ended up with 6 HSTs... and used only 4 of them....

Of course, I won't have to make pinwheels with HSTs when I make my churn blocks, but
couldn't let them just sit there, could I?



This is a picture after I had sewn 2 sets of 2 HSTs together (top row and bottom row). After I had set the stitching line (while still folded) I opened up the two HSTs and looked at the seams (the straight seams in the middle). By examining the "natural" layout of the seams, I decided to fold them toward the white portions.  It was less bulky and Lookie Here..I can now match the final seam with ease. 



When I was pinning the squares, I made sure the meeting midpoint matched.  When I decided the size of squares at the beginning of this exercise, I really didn't know what I would end up with...I was just practicing..

I ended up with roughly (really rough) 8 1/2" lopadoodled pinwheel. So I used my ruler (above), centered it on the midpoint of the pinwheel, 

trimmed, and trimmed,,,,,

.


and finished with a 8" decent size block

 
And what have I learned in this small exercise?

Speaking for myself....I cannot rush HSTs..the more preparation before sewing the better.  Check dimensions constantly, and don't sweat the small stuff.....it will all get done.....

3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Wonderful post on HSTs = another technique that gets better with practic.

Denise :) said...

I love HST's -- they're so versatile -- but I *always* make the squares an 1/8" bigger than they need to be so I can trim down my HST pieces when I'm finished. Otherwise I always end up in trouble. It's worth it to me. LOL! :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have a new ruler for HST's that make them so easy! http://www.blocloc.com/ Just make them a bit bigger, then trim them down to size. I used it to make some of my Valentine blocks, and they all came out great, no fussing. I"m going to do a post on this ruler soon.