Saturday, September 11, 2010

....And more time.....

It has been so long since I posted.  I really have been working, just not so hard and consistently as a lot of my  quilter friends.  So what have I been doing besides the everyday stuff? 

I have been handquilting and coming along nicely, thank you. You can see it better in the back.



I have been cutting and sorting my stash. Different picture, less stash to sort...


Main thing: 

Yesterday I laid out the 16 uneven blocks on the den floor from my quilt along and took a picture of it so that I will remember where each block goes.  I then moved a couple of blocks around and will be taking another picture momentarily.  I am procrastinating putting the sashing on and making the quilt top.  I know that the corners will be as far away from each other as New York is to Los Angeles, with a few a little closer in Kansas City.  I have decided not to use corner squares.  The wonkiness will be emphasized enough. Don't get me wrong, I loved learning how to cut and shape the different squares.   Learn is the operative verb here. 


The reason for the wonkiness is that during, not before, I started making the squares, I read Amy's tutorial on how to fix your machine's needle placement so that you can stand a chance of making consistant 1/4" seams.  The blocks I made before reading are smaller than the ones I made after. I am not remaking them because I am (1) too lazy, (2) not enough of the same material, (3) anxious to make the top, or  (4) too lazy. 

I debated on cutting down the larger blocks, but do not have the gumption knowledge and am certain concerned that I will make all the blocks worse.  So there they lay, (16) 12 1/2" (or 12 1/4", 12 3/8", etc) blocks on the den floor for the second (or is it third) evening.  They are calling to me......

(PS) Those white tags on the different blocks? They tell me the size of the block so that I can play with the placement.  Maybe that will help, who knows????

1 comment:

Theodora quilts said...

very well done ,nice hand quilting , the sampler looks nice I'll have to get mine going ,I've started a spider quilt and got hooked on it I'll be posting some photos of it soon ,I used a yellow fabric hope it turns out nice in the end, I used all of the itsy bitsy pieces and strips from leftovers from previous quilts.