Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fun Time Continued...


This is what I started out with a couple of days ago or so...I had never colored on fabric before and always wanted to try it...well, not always, but you know what I mean.

I googled and came up with these instructions...very basic, but good enough for a beginner like myself.

Anyway, I cut one piece from a Moda white that I had....good quality cotton, picked a page from the coloring book, traced the picture onto the cotton using a Pigma Micron 01 (0.25mm) pen.

Okay, actually on the first picture I used my Sewline soft pencil to trace the picture.  After I started, I realized that I would be coloring over features that needed to be shown...so I redrew the lines with the Pigma pen. 

Hint:

 Draw your lines first with a pen, otherwise it will get caked with wax from the crayon and it is not impossible, but it takes a little work to get it cleaned off.

After I colored both the pictures, I found in my stash the perfect fabric to go with them...I am going to wait and look a little more to see if I can find another, if I can't, then I will make a simple 4 block wall hanging.


Notice the uneven side on the first picture....
I wasn't sure what size block I wanted and so just haphazardly cut a fabric piece..the picture I chose fit well within the "block", but when I finished the second piece, I realized it needed to be bigger than the first....

I ended up making both 10 1/2" square...with that one side uneven...I plan to compensate with the block that goes on that side...and say that the bugs ate part of the block....we'll see how it turns out in the next installment......

3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It is a pleasure to see some one try new things as well as have fun with it. I will have to find some fun, large color books so when my grandson comes again, we can do this project.

Theodora quilts said...

I have seen the crayon coloring somewhere and wonderd about it, they look real nicely done can't wait to see the wall hanging,xoxo theodora

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

It looks like fun so far. I can't wait to see your creation!