Monday, March 14, 2011

A Glimpse of the Birthday Wall Hanging......

I have finished all that I can on the Birthday wall hanging I am making to test the Pigma Pens....

I had a pen that was a little old, but I decided to use it anyway.. I really had two:


One is a 01-0.25
and the other

a 08-0.50

I went with the 08 with .50 tip.  It seemed to be easier to write with....the .25 tip seemed to "sharp", it was a fine width...pulled on the fabric more and (for me) more difficult to write with.

Of course, I ironed freezer paper on the back before I wrote anything. 

Once I was finished writing all the info (names, b'dates) I sewed the rows together using some scrap fabric I found rolled up in a nice small cylinder.  Once I unrolled it, I found this:



I am learning that I am learning.....first I thought it was too bright and not right for what I wanted it for....and then I realized that I needed only 1 1/2" wide strips...Once I got into that mindframe, I saw that the colors were a perfect match for the lighter shades of my blocks...

Anyway, I researched how to heat-set the ink.  I got a piece of aluminum foil from the drawer in the kitchen, put it on my ironing board, set my iron at no-steam very hot, put the blocks on the foil, writing side down.  Then very carefully, continuing to move the iron to keep from scorching the fabric, I ironed each block for about 30 seconds.  I do have a teflon sheet for applique that I could have used, but was afraid it would dissipate the heat.

After I put the top altogether, I threw it into the washing machine for 20 minutes, by itself, checked it afterwards, and then put it in the dryer also for about 20 minutes..

Came out fine.....I will probably use a newer pen next time, but there was no smearing or, what I could see, fading of the writing....

There was one piece of fabric that was too busy for the ink to be seen clearly..I will suggest to my DDIL that she use the back of the fabric instead.

Wish I could show you the entire wall-hanging top, but it has some personal info on it, so you will have to be satisfied with this little sliver....



I will finish this top the end of June, thereabouts, when the newest member of the family arrives...as I said before, any more GC will find themselves hanging from the wall hanging with a piece of fabric, embroidery thread or yarn....

1 comment:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love what I can see. Great advice and tips on using and testing the pen - I've used the micron with great success. And a wallhanging won't get washed as much as a quilt.