Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Machine tops - Part 2

Between then and now, I added a few more rows of fabric to the larger piece...and then I forgot to take a picture of it before I cut....so I tried to put it back together again for you...


I used a 8.5 square template and was able to cut 5 of the 9 squares I need for the mat.  As you can see above, I angled the square wherever I wanted. 

Here is what I have to work with so far....wonder if I can resew the remainder together to help get 4 more squares????  


Nope, only one square available.....I'll need to add on some more pieces...


Ready to cut the blocks... & Oops, almost forgot the picture of the whole.....


and the blocks cut from above for one of the mats are added to the other 5....




Time passes.....I sew, sew, sew, and cut, cut, cut, and angle, angle, angle; I then cut from the fabric 9 blocks, using a 6.5" square template.   I sew everything together, machine quilt (walking foot), bind (with leftover binding strips) and come up with these:



 
 I liked the idea of not worrying about what goes where and just reaching in and grabbing pieces...May make something else later on like that, who knows......

And my bathroom looks less anemic.

4 comments:

Stella Jones said...

I like that look too. It's very abstract and colourful and it sort of does its own thing.

Theodora quilts said...

I like that I have a bunch of crazy blocks I can make even more crazy,I had thought about cutting them ,but then I was worrried about waisting fabric ,but now I don't care I will get them out one day ,thanks very nice crazy blocks,xoxo theodra

Judee said...

I like it! I have been thinking about getting templates. Thanks for showing us.

Mary Ann said...

I like this! Not having to worry over every piece would be nice :-)